Friday, June 20, 2008

Reverie – Kitchen confessions

If you want to really get to know a person, I think you should observe him or her in the kitchen. You simply can’t hide who you are when it comes to cookery.

Example 1: A detailed, perfectionistic, in-the-box thinking culinarian will not...

  • venture out from tried and true recipes
  • be okay with substituting ingredients
  • ever really be happy with the end result

Example 2: On the other hand, an artistic, resourceful, easygoing chef will...

  • never be able to recreate the exact same dish twice
  • be pleased with nearly any outcome
  • rock your socks off with amazing culinary delights

This is my theory, anyway, after observing the way Sam (Example 2) and I (Example 1) completely differ in cooking styles. I suggest you ask someone you know to create a meal for you to test this theory. If I’m dead wrong, well at least you won’t be hungry for a few more hours.

No comments: